This past week we have focused our attention on how to update various Android devices with an official or customized version of Android 4.4 KitKat. From this cycle of tutorials, we cannot miss the traditional Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G. If you’re not planning on upgrading your handset too soon, you should be aware that your device won’t be receiving an official Android 4.4 update. As a result, if you’re interested in trying the latest Android 4.4 features, you can use this tutorial to install Android 4.4 KitKat OmniRom custom firmware. You will get to discover the new capabilities of your phone and improve your Android experience!
However, before anything else, there are few preparation guidelines that you should read and take note of. These guidelines are crucial and can prevent you from bricking your device, so read them carefully!
- The purpose of this tutorial is to assist you installing the Android 4.4 KitKat OmniROM custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G. You should not use this tutorial for any other device, as you may permanently damage it. Verify the model number of your handset at “Settings”> “About phone”.
- This firmware is not an official one, but rather a custom one. To be able to install it, you must firstly root your Galaxy S2 and install a CWM custom recovery on it. More details here.
- During the installation procedure, you will be required to perform a full wipe of your device. As a result, the entire data existent on the internal storage will be deleted for good. To prevent any major loss, we recommend you to create a full backup of your phone’s content. All you need to do is to use a free backup tool from Google Play such as “Helium” backup tool. Also, you can backup your contacts, by sync-ing them with your Google Account. Check this tutorial to get more details on that.
- As it will be required to connect your device to the computer, you need to have a compatible USB cable at hand. Also, for that USB cable to do its job, your computer must have the latest Samsung USB Driver installed on it.
- To ensure a smooth connection between your phone and the PC, we recommend you to disable any antivirus software and enable the “USB Debugging” option from the “Developer Options” menu of your handset.
- Charge your phone’s battery for more than 80% in order to prevent any major damage of your device. A sudden shutdown during the installation procedure caused by lack of power could brick your phone and jeopardize the entire installation procedure.
Now that you’ve read the preparation guidelines and you’ve prepared for the installation, let’s get to the actual instructions below.
How to install Android 4.4 KitKat OmniROM custom firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G
- For start, you should download the Android 4.4 OmniROM from here and the Google Apps package from here. You should not extract the content of the zip files.
- Now, connect your device to the PC via the USB cable, and copy the zip files you have just downloaded at step 1 to the SD card of your handset. Once the transfer has been completed, unplug the device from the computer.
- Now power off completely your device and press and hold simultaneously the “Volume Up”, “Home” and “Power” buttons in order to boot your phone into “Recovery Mode”. Use the “Volume” buttons to navigate in CWM recovery and the “Power” button to select.
- Next, you should perform a full wipe of your device (make sure that you’ve created the backup). To do so, select the “wipe data/ factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” options from CWM menu. Also, from the advanced tab of CWM, you should select the “wipe dalvik cache” option.
- Return to the main CWM “Recovery Mode” menu and select “Install zip from SD card”. Go to “Choose zip from SD card” and look for the Android 4.4 OmniROM zip file. Confirm its selection and its installation.
- Repeat step 5 in order to install the Gapps package.
- Once both files have been installed, you should return to the main CWM menu by pressing “+++Go back+++” and choose the “reboot system now”. Your phone will reboot for about 5 minutes, so you will be able to practice your patience!
That’s it! If you followed the instructions as recommended, your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G has just been updated with Android 4.4 KitKat OmniROM custom firmware. You can now explore and enjoy the latest Android features right on your device! If you, however, encountered any issues, then use the comment box below to tell us about them!