Google Nexus 5 is one of the best smartphones ever manufactured by LG, and it can easily compete with the most controversial handsets released this year, like Samsung Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3, iPhone 5s, HTC One, Sony Xperia Z and many other high-tech devices.
I know that can be very frustrating not to be able to transfer files from your Android device to the computer, due to the fact that the USB driver is not installed properly or is simply missing, especially when you own such a powerful device as the Nexus 5.
However, Google proved once again that is fully committed to its users and gave us the possibility to download the latest USB drivers for all Nexus variants. In most of the cases this USB package should work just fine, but this is not a one-click installation file that any Android user could install without having some kind of assistance. That’s why we decided to create this very simple step-by-step guide, to show you how to successfully install the most adequate USB driver for your Google Nexus 5 handset.
The following guide is divided into three parts, depending on what kind of connectivity issue you are facing with.
Part 1. How to install the proper USB Driver for your Google Nexus 5
- Download the latest official USB Driver from this source. Extract the “.zip” file into a new folder, created on your computer’s Desktop.
- Use a compatible USB cable to connect your Nexus 5 to the computer.
- Now, you have to open the “Device Manager” section on your computer.
- for Windows 7 & 8 computers: go to “Start” > “Control Panel” > “System and Security” > “System” > “Device Manager”;
- for Windows XP computers: go to “Start” > “Control Panel” > “Performance and Maintenance” > “System” > “Hardware” > “Device Manager”.
- Open the “Other devices” tab, right-click on “Nexus 5” and select the “Update Driver Software” option.
- Now, select the “Browse my computer for driver software” option and load the folder where you’ve extracted the zip file at the beginning of this tutorial.
- make sure you leave the “Include subfolders” box checked.
- When the “Windows Security” pops up, press the “Install” button.
- Now that you’ve successfully flashed the proper USB Driver package, you shouldn’t see the “Nexus 5” option (with a yellow exclamation mark) anymore.
- You are done, which means that you are now able to connect your LG Nexus 5 to the computer and start transferring files.
In case you don’t experience the basic “USB Driver” issue and you are facing with a much more complex situation, when you try to boot your device into the ADB or Bootloader/Fastboot mode, then you should follow the following guides, depending on which mode do you want to use. Basically, your Nexus 5 is not recognized by your computer, once you’ve boot it into one of these two modes.
Part 2. How to fix the “ADB driver” issue
- Open your Nexus 5 “Settings” menu and make sure that the “USB debugging” option is enabled. It can be found under the “Developer options” tab.
- Now, connect your device to the computer and follow the exact instructions provided above (Part 1).
Part 3. How to fix the “Bootloader/Fastboot driver” issue
- Turn off your Google Nexus 5.
- Boot it into “Bootloader Mode” using the following button combination: “Volume Up” > “Volume Down” > “Power”. Make sure you press all of them in the same time.
- When your Nexus 5 turns on, you should see an Android robot and a red “FASTBOOT MODE” text, displayed on your device’s screen.
- Now connect your device to the PC via USB and repeat the above installation guide (Part 1).
I hope you found this article useful and that you’ve successfully managed to fix any kind of connectivity issue your LG/Google Nexus 5 has been facing with. However, if your device isn’t recognized by the computer, it doesn’t necessary mean that you have an USB driver issue, so you should try one of these solutions first:
- Connect the USB cable to a different USB port.
- Replace the USB cable, as it may be broken.
- Reboot your both devices (your Nexus 5 and the computer).
- Try to connect your smartphone to a different computer or even to a computer that runs with a different operating system (Window OS is recommend).
If the problem still persists, once you’ve tried all the above solutions, please leave a detailed comment in the designated area and we will try to come up with a suitable solution ASAP.